Friday, August 14, 2009

Brownie Ice Cream


For my birthday this year my friend got me a Cuisinart ice cream maker! I was thrilled! I attempted the basic vanilla ice cream recipe that came with the maker for my first batch and decided why not add some brownies, since I have a ton left over from the Cheesecake Brownies I made. So I threw some of those in the mix and the ice cream is delicious! Also, it was SO easy to make! I can't wait to make something else with my new ice cream maker.

That thing is amazing and I am so happy that I have one now! If you don't have one...you seriously need to get one. They are more affordable than I thought, only $49.95 on Amazon and free shipping! I really like that the freezer bowl is small enough to fit in my tiny freezer that is always packed with food. And did I tell you all you have to do is turn on the machine, add the ingredients and it does all the work for you in about 25 minutes? A-ma-zzzing! Sorry, I am just really excited about my new toy. :oD Anyways, here is the recipe:

Brownie Ice Cream
Makes 10 half cup servings.
  • 1 cup whole milk, chilled
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
  • 1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, to taste (I used 2 and would probably cut it back next time because it had a very strong vanilla taste)
  • 1 cup chopped brownies

In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Turn on your ice cream maker and pour the ingredients in. Let mix 25 minutes or until thickened. Add the chopped brownies in the last five minutes of mixing or just mix them in by hand with a rubber spatula once the ice cream maker is done and turned off. Unless you like your ice cream soft and creamy, place it in a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours to get it thickened properly.

Now go get your ice cream makers out and get started! Because it's hot out there, and this is delightfully refreshing on a hot summer day. :o)


-amanda

10 comments:

  1. This ice cream looks delicious! And... your blog post just reminded me that I need to put the bowl from my ice cream maker in the freezer so I can make some ice cream this weekend. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this ice maker require you to pack ice around the bowl as it's making the ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. jomamma - nope! you just put the bowl in the freezer and once it's frozen you stick it on the base turn it on and pour in the ingredients. I was writing this post while the ice cream was being made. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice tip to prepare brownie ice cream and your blog makes me to prepare it today itself. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I wish I had an ice cream maker now since I have half a plate of brownies sitting in my kitchen.

    How long does the ice cream keep for? I've heard that homemade ice cream has to be eaten right away.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristilyn - I searched and searched and could not find how long it keeps for. I would say no longer than a week if you're worried about it.

    Does anyone else know how long homemade ice cream keeps for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great friend and some great ice cream. I have the same ice cream maker and I love it : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking very delicious Ice Creams...........

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like such type of ice creams very much.............

    ReplyDelete