Crème Carmel (aka Flan) is a nice custard dessert, presented here with a tuile cookie dome. First prepare the caramelized sugar and then the baked custard.
Makes enough for 5 - 4" ramekins
- 8 oz sugar
- 2 oz water
- 3 drops of lemon juice
Makes 5 - 4" ramekins
- 1 pt milk
- 1 pt half and half
- 4 oz sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean (split)
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 14 oz eggs
- In a sauce pan scald the milk, half and half, sugar, vanilla bean, and salt. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs to break them up. Carefully pour about 1 1/2 cups of the hot mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly.
- Whisk the tempered eggs back into the hot mixture. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve. Gently scrape out the vanilla bean and stir in.
- Place mixture into the ramekins (after the caramelized sugar has already been placed in the dishes). Put dishes in a water bath, ensuring water comes up no higher than 1/3 way up the ramekins.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, until set and there is a light skin on top of the custard, approximately 35 minutes.
Once they are finished baking, cool and then cover in saran wrap and place in the fridge. The next day (or once they are completely cooled), take a small offset spatula and run it around the edge only going about halfway down so you don't touch the sugar. Flip it over onto a plate, shake it a little and it should come out of the ramekin. If it does not, you may need to run the spatula around again. Decorate as desired and serve chilled.