I have always loved the Super Bowl. I enjoy watching the game and rooting on my favorite team, and of course watching the commercials. However, one of my favorite reasons why I love the Super Bowl so much is because of the food! It is a great opportunity to make appetizers and other yummy food that I wouldn't otherwise have a reason to make.
About a week ago I was trying to figure out what I should make and petit fours came to mind. I had originally wanted to do them for Valentine's Day but then decided that I already had too much on my plate for V-day. Plus, mini footballs sounded so cute! Once I had the idea in my head, I knew I had to make it happen. I am very happy with the way they turned out!
Almond Pound Cake
- 7 oz sugar
- 7 oz almond paste
- 1 oz egg
- 7 oz diced butter
- 4 eggs
- 3 oz cake flour
- Cream sugar and almond paste together. When the mixture is well broken up, add the 1oz egg.
- Continue to mix until the mixture is smooth and forms a paste. There should be no lumps of almond paste in the mixture.
- Add the butter and cream on high speed until the mixture is light and airy.
- Add the eggs in 3 stages and scrape down after each addition. Do not over mix.
- Finally add the sifted flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment and evenly spread the mixture in the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown and firm to the touch. Approximately 30-35 minutes.
To glaze, place a rack on a sheet pan to catch the extra glaze. Pour melted chocolate fondant over the petit fours. You can use the extra glaze in the pan if you need more fondant. Once they are set, draw the laces on with a piping bag and royal icing.
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
Enjoy the game!!