Pumpkin Icebox Pie (from Everyday Food)
- 16 cinnamon graham crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 can (29 ounces) pure pumpkin puree
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl combine crushed graham crackers, sugar, salt and butter. Mix until it resembles a wet sand. Press crumbs in the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Bake until crust is deep golden brown and fragrant, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in baking dish on a wire rack.
While crust is baking, make the filling
- Place 1/4 cup cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top of water and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree and cream cheese until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; bring to a simmer over medium. Add gelatin mixture and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour milk mixture into pumpkin mixture and whisk until completely smooth.
- Pour filling into cooled crust and refrigerate until chilled and completely set, about 3 hours (or wrap tightly with plastic and refrigerate for up to 2 days).
- To serve, top with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.