Makes 2 wreaths
- 1 lb water
- 2 oz fresh yeast
- 2 lb 12 oz hi-gluten flour
- 4 oz sugar
- .75 oz salt
- 8 oz eggs
- 4 oz oil
- Mix yeast and water together first, then combine all ingredients together in mixing bowl and mix on low for 12 minutes.
- Ferment dough in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours. (Some people put it in the oven with the oven off but the light on.)
- Scale the dough into logs.* Each wreath will need 6 logs (3 of each size). So scale six - 6 oz logs, and six - 4 oz logs). Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, roll out each log into a long strand. Cover and let rest again for a few minutes then roll once more. The longer the strands the bigger your wreath will be.
- Braid 3 pieces of 6 oz strands together, pinching the ends. Do the same for the 4 oz strands.
- Egg wash the top of the 6 oz strand braid and place the 4 oz strand braid on top.
- Shape into a wreath, place on sheet pan with parchment and egg wash.
- Repeat steps 5 - 7 for your second wreath.
- Place sheet pan in oven once again with just the light on for about 20 minutes or until dough has proofed.
- Egg wash again and then bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.